What does a high performing technology delivery team look like? How do you know if your team is doing well? While there have been many widely reported and shared surveys on technology delivery team behavior that define the metrics for high performers (Puppet State of DevOps Report 2019, 2019 Accelerate State of DevOps), at CircleCI we are privileged to have the vantage point of being able to review truly massive amounts of data on how technology delivery teams are behaving in the wild. Our cloud continuous integration and continuous delivery platform processes over 1.6 million job runs per day for more than 40,000 organizations and over 150,000 projects. We analyzed the data from 30 million workflows* to see how observed behavior compares to reported industry standards.
Our results show that continuous integration (CI) provides a clear path to becoming a high performing team:
- Teams using CI are incredibly fast: 80% of all workflows finish in less than 10 minutes.
- Teams using CI stay in flow and keep work moving: 50% of all recovery happens in under an hour.
- 25% recover in 10 minutes.
- 50% of orgs recover in 1 try.
- Highly efficient CI tooling is in service to the needs of your business, not the other way around. Pipelines are flexible and changes to them are successful: 50% of projects never had a failure when pipeline changes were performed during the 90 days of observation.
- If you are looking for a path to engineering success, focusing on CI will deliver results.
Download the report to learn more.